1.15.2014

11 Years Cancer Free!


This is my mom. She is a beautiful, strong, independent, crazy, stubborn, giving, caring, know-it-all, wonderful woman. She will bring happiness and laughter to any occasion, be the life of the party, dress to the 9's, cook a delicious meal, and still be trying to please everyone. She has a piece of advice for any situation, and usually right, but it's hard for her to hear her own words. She has always been there for me, held my hand, helped me through hard situations, and praised me when I needed it most.

I was 13 years old when she was diagnosed. It was a really hard time for everyone in my life, but you could never tell my mom was suffering. She was always positive and kept her head high for everyone else because we definitely needed it. Ovarian cancer. This meant death to most that were diagnosed. 

A woman's risk of dying from ovarian cancer is 1 in 95 (app. 14,400 women). A woman's risk of developing ovarian cancer is 1 in 72. There is a 44% chance that a woman with ovarian cancer will live for five years. That number is 90% for breast cancer. Crazy right? All these stats came from ovariancancer.org. 

My mom is a beautiful, strong, independent, crazy, stubborn, giving, caring, know-it-all, wonderful survivor of ovarian cancer. I'm so thankful that I have my mom today, I couldn't imagine life without her. 

I love you, Mom!


If you want to get involved and walk for ovarian cancer research, here is a list of upcoming 5Ks/Walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say =]

Leave a comment and have a colorful day!