3.04.2013

Healthy Black Forest Brownie Pie with Coconut Milk Whipped Cream

So I've recently purchased some coconut flour, and I've really wanted to try it. Naturally it had to be something that would indulge my sweet tooth and be healthy at the same time! As I was looking around my kitchen, I found some frozen cherries, cocoa powder, dark chocolate chips, and thought to myself… I'm going to make some black forest brownies! But, these won't be just any black forest brownies. NO! These are going to be healthy ones!! So here's what you'll need for the brownies…



Healthy Black Forest Brownie Pie
1/2 Cup Frozen Cherries
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
3 Tbs Coconut Oil
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/3 Cup Almond Milk
1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp Salt
2 Tbs Flax Seeds
1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips

Here's how you make em'!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease pie pan.

First you start off with the frozen cherries and the applesauce. Put both of those in a blender and blend as well as you can. (This might not blend too well because there's not much liquid in there yet) Then add the coconut oil and vanilla extract and continue blending. (Again, this may not blend too well) After, add the almond milk to the blender and blend until no big cherry chunks remain. Now you're going to need a separate bowl to mix together the dry ingredients. (Excluding the dark chocolate chips) After the dry ingredients have been thoroughly mixed, add the blended cherry mixture to the bowl. Stir well, and then add the dark chocolate chips. Pour into greased pie pan and smooth so the mixture is spread evenly throughout the pan. Bake for 25-30 min or until toothpick from center comes out clean.


After baking the brownies, I decided that I needed to amp it up a bit and add a little whipped cream. I opted for a healthier style whipped cream than a fattier one. This whipped cream is made up of coconut milk, vanilla, and a little bit of sugar.

In order to make whipped cream out of coconut milk, you will need to chill a can of coconut milk in the fridge at least for two hours. I chill mine overnight so that I know it will be chilled and ready to go when I need it!



So grab your chilled can of coconut milk and open it. There will be some solid chunks of the coconut milk and that is what you'll be using. Spoon the chunky stuff into a bowl and drain all of the access liquid from the can. This is the kind I use, and this is what my bowl of coconut solid milk looks like.



After I put that in the bowl, I grabbed my hand mixer (you can use a stand mixer also, it'd be way easier!) and whip it just like a meringue. You'll need to whip it for a good 5 minutes until peeks form.

Once you're done whipping, add 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1 Tbs sugar. Give that a good whip and then you're finished!

After brownie is cooled, cut and plate. Drizzle with whipped cream and place a cherry on top! Voila! The perfect healthy dessert! 

P.S. My husband loved this one! He's not one for sweets, so when he says he loves a dessert it really says something! This one's not too sweet so it will make your teeth fall out, and it's not too bitter so you won't enjoy it. It's the best of both worlds and the perfect treat to end your day with!

Color Yourself Happy!

2 comments:

I'd love to hear what you have to say =]

Leave a comment and have a colorful day!